About the Movie

The Unidentified is a feature-length documentary which reveals who were the commanders responsible for some of the most brutal attacks of the Kosovo war.

The result of a two-year-long investigation, the documentary names the officers who ordered attacks on villages in the area around the town of Pec during the 1999 war and those who were involved in the removal of victims’ bodies to mass graves at the Batajnica police centre near Belgrade in Serbia. 

Sixteen years after they committed the crimes, they live peacefully in the Serbian capital, and despite the evidence that exists, they have not been prosecuted.

For the first time, the story is told by both victims and perpetrators, people who lived through some of the worst massacres of the Kosovo war, when more than 120 Kosovo Albanian civilians were killed in the course of a few days.

Beside disturbing testimonies never seen before, the documentary also features exclusive images and documents from the war.

It takes viewers back to spring 1999, when NATO forces started bombing Serbia in an attempt to end Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic’s repression of the country’s Albanian minority in its province of Kosovo. Simultaneously, Milosevic launched a deadly campaign against civilians in Kosovo, resulting in the killing of over 7,000 Kosovo Albanians and the expulsion of some 700,000 more.

In order to achieve his long-desired goal of an ethnically-cleansed Serbia, Milosevic united his forces, both army and police, to wage a war which he believed was just.

The ethnically-mixed town of Pec suffered the most. The Kosovo Liberation Army, the Kosovo Albanian guerrilla group that fought for independence from Serbia, had its base nearby, so Belgrade sent its most experienced and brutal forces to crack down on the rebellion. However, it was the civilians who suffered the most.

From April until early June 1999, villages like Ljubenic, Cuska, Pavlan and Zahac were completely ethnically cleansed – women, elderly people and children were expelled to Albania, while men were killed. Their bodies were either burned or removed. Some of them were found in mass graves at the police centre in Batajnica.

Ten years after this crime took place, the Serbian prosecution charged 13 members of the so-called Jackals paramilitary unit. During their five-year-long trial, it became clear that the men charged were actually members of the Yugoslav Army. But the complex military operation in villages around Pec which involved more than 200 police and troops was depicted by the prosecution as a series of more minor incidents. Even though there were written orders from high-ranking generals to attack the villages, these were not included in the evidence brought to court, while the generals who ordered the ‘cleansing of terrorists’ were not even listed as witnesses.

The role of the police in the attacks was never questioned by the prosecutors, and the removal of the bodies was not even included in indictment. Those who removed bodies from Pec and took them to be hidden in Belgrade remain free, even though strong evidence exists that high-ranking police generals were involved in the cover-up.

In 2015, more than 15 years after Kosovo war, justice is not yet done. The trial against direct perpetrators is still ongoing before domestic court. The UN-backed international tribunal in The Hague has also convicted five high-ranking Serbian generals and officials of war crimes in Kosovo. Milosevic is now dead, but all the other people who masterminded the Kosovo war and gave the orders remain free. They all live in Belgrade.