News 09 Jul 12

Thousands Embark on Peace March to Srebrenica

Organisers say turnout this year is bigger than ever, showing a growing commitment among people, not just Bosnians, to remember the mass slaughter that occurred in the town in 1995.

Valerie Hopkins
Photo by Beta

More than 7,000 people set off for a three day, 110 kilometre-long march to Srebrenica’s Potocari memorial centre on Sunday.  Part of the “Mars Mira”, or “Peace March,” the walkers are tracing a reverse path of an estimated 15,000 thousand men and boys who fled the formerly protected UN enclave when it fell to the Bosnian Serb Army, VRS, on July 12, 1995. 

The march began Sunday morning in the hamlet of Nezuk, the place closest to Srebrenica held by the Bosnian Army.  It remains a symbol an important symbol of freedom for Bosniaks [Muslims].

The peace marchers will arrive on the eve of the July 11 for the burial of 520 victims of the Srebrenica genocide whose bodies were exhumed in the past year. 

This year more than 7,000 registration cards were issued to people from approximately 40 countries, making the march the biggest in history, march organizer Muhamed Durakovic confirmed to Balkan Insight.

More than 65 percent of the participants are youngsters under 30 and many of the marchers are international, said Durakovic.

Photo by Beta

“There are a lot of countries represented, including from the region, and this puts us in high spirits despite the heat,” Durakovic said. 

“I am very happy that this is becoming an international movement, this is the direction I want to take the peace march,” he added.

“We have a lot more people this year who have never been to Srebrenica or were not even born during the genocide that have joined our movement.”

American Ambassador Patrick Moon and Bosnian Minister of Security Sadik Ahmetovic addressed the crowd before participants took off, wishing them a successful march to Potocari and thanking them for their commitment to ensuring that the world does not forget what happened in Srebrenica.

Groups started earlier this week on foot from the towns of Tuzla, Zenica and Gradacac, A group of marathoners sponsored by Croatian President Ivo Josipovic will run 227 kilometers to Srebrenica from the northern Croatian town of Vukovar, which holds a similarly iconic place in the Croatian imagination as does Srebrenica among Bosniaks.

Photo by Beta

Last year more than 6,000 marchers attended the event.  Marchers bear Bosnian flags or flags of their home countries.  Along the way they will have the opportunity to stop at marked mass graves for group discussions and history classes on the conditions and ambushes that occurred during the course of the original journey.

Led by the Bosnian Army’s 28th regiment, some of the original 1995 marchers made it to freedom in five days, but it took others up to 40 days of walking in the heavily mined woods with no food or supplies to reach free territory.  Only a little more than a fifth of the original marchers survived.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest Headlines

News 10 Jul 07

Del Ponte Praises Bosnia for 'Good' Cooperation

Analysis 18 Sep 07

Truth Commission Divides Bosnia

News 08 Nov 07

Srebrenica Trial Opens in Bosnia

News 28 Nov 07

Srebrenica Suit Gets Go-ahead

Analysis 10 Dec 07

Hague Court Acquits Serbia of Genocide

Analysis 10 Dec 07

No Consensus on Srebrenica Aid Bid

Investigation 10 Dec 07

JUSTICE REPORT INVESTIGATION: Srebrenica Suspect is an RS Official

News 16 Jan 08

Srebrenica Report Sent to RS Police

Analysis 24 Jan 08

Bosnians Consider Del Ponte Legacy

News 25 Mar 08

Bosnia Victims Urge Montenegro Leader Talks

Background

Srebrenica: Genocide Reconstructed

In July 1995 Srebrenica was shelled and occupied by the Army of Republic of Srpska,VRS, despite being declared a protected area by the United Nations. More than 7,000 people were killed, the victims of genocide.

Ratko Mladic: The Force Behind the Srebrenica Killings

The Bosnian Serb commander’s role in the genocide committed in Srebrenica is described in detail in many indictments and verdicts pronounced before local and international judicial institutions.

The Indictment Against Ratko Mladic

Indictments in 1995 and 2000, further amended in 2002 and 2010, charge the former commander of the Republika Srpska Army with genocide and other crimes.

Ratko Mladic: From Promising Officer to Bloodstained Warlord

When Mladic ordered his army to bomb the people of Sarajevo until they ‘go insane’, he revealed the murderous intentions that would culminate in the Srebrenica massacre.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter