News 08 Mar 16

Serbia ‘In Denial’ Over Srebrenica Genocide

Historians must speak out about the July 1995 Srebrenica genocide, while the Serbian public has to stop denying it, a debate in Belgrade was told.

Ivana Nikolic
BIRN
Belgrade
The debate at Belgrade's Centre for Cultural Decontamination. Photo: Twitter/FHP

Despite international court rulings, ignorance and denial of the 1995 Srebrenica genocide is still widespread in Serbia, a debate at Belgrade’s Centre for Cultural Decontamination was told on Monday evening.

Nemanja Stjepanovic from the Belgrade-based Humanitarian Law Centre said that 21 years after the genocide took place, all the facts about the massacres have been established in detail thanks to court testimonies and evidence.

But many people either don’t know or don’t want to know what truly happened, Stjepanovic told the debate entitled ‘School of Knowledge: Srebrenica, Mapping of the Genocide and Post-Genocidal Society’.

“Ignorance and a lack of information could have been the excuse for not accepting the crimes back then. Today, there are no more excuses. Every denial of the Srebrenica crime means approval for it,” Stjepanovic said.

Although the UN declared Srebrenica a ‘safe area’, the town was overrun by Bosnian Serb forces in July 1995, and more than 7,000 Bosniak men and boys were killed in the days that followed.

The massacres have been defined as genocide by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, the International Court of Justice and the Bosnian state court. But this definition is strongly contested by Serbian and Bosnian Serb officials, who claim that the crime did not amount to genocide.

In March 2010, Serbia's parliament adopted a resolution condemning the Srebrenica massacres, but failed to call the crime a genocide.

Last July, a resolution condemning the 1995 Srebrenica massacres as genocide failed to pass in the UN after Serbia’s ally Russia, which has a Security Council veto, voted against it.

Dubravka Stojanovic, a Belgrade-based historian, said that accepting the Srebrenica crimes as an act of genocide would represent a move away from the stance that only Serbs were victims.

“Accepting the Srebrenica genocide touches the deepest layers of [Serbian] identity,” Stojanovic said.

“If that crime was be recognised, the whole historical perspective would be changed. That is why I think that learning about Srebrenica is a key lesson in history,” she added.

The 20th anniversary commemoration last July caused tensions both in Bosnia and Herzegovina and in Serbia. Serbia’s Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic attended the ceremony, but was attacked by some of the mourners.

A planned event called #sedamhiljada, which aimed to symbolically gather 7,000 people - representing the approximate number of Srebrenica deaths - outside the parliament building in Belgrade last year, did not happen after the interior ministry banned rallies scheduled for the 20th anniversary of the massacres on July 11, citing security risks.

But around 200 people defied the ban and held a candle-lit commemoration the evening before, sparking a counter-protest by right-wingers.

Anita Mitic of the Youth Initiative for Human Rights, one of the organisers of the commemoration, was charged with a misdemeanour by the interior ministry, which alleged that she broke the law by organising a public gathering without previously alerting the authorities.

Mitic claimed that the case against her was another example of the authorities’ policy of Srebrenica genocide denial.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest Headlines

News 10 Jul 07

Del Ponte Praises Bosnia for 'Good' Cooperation

Analysis 18 Sep 07

Truth Commission Divides Bosnia

News 08 Nov 07

Srebrenica Trial Opens in Bosnia

News 28 Nov 07

Srebrenica Suit Gets Go-ahead

Analysis 10 Dec 07

Hague Court Acquits Serbia of Genocide

Analysis 10 Dec 07

No Consensus on Srebrenica Aid Bid

Investigation 10 Dec 07

JUSTICE REPORT INVESTIGATION: Srebrenica Suspect is an RS Official

News 16 Jan 08

Srebrenica Report Sent to RS Police

Analysis 24 Jan 08

Bosnians Consider Del Ponte Legacy

News 25 Mar 08

Bosnia Victims Urge Montenegro Leader Talks

Background

Srebrenica: Genocide Reconstructed

In July 1995 Srebrenica was shelled and occupied by the Army of Republic of Srpska,VRS, despite being declared a protected area by the United Nations. More than 7,000 people were killed, the victims of genocide.

Ratko Mladic: The Force Behind the Srebrenica Killings

The Bosnian Serb commander’s role in the genocide committed in Srebrenica is described in detail in many indictments and verdicts pronounced before local and international judicial institutions.

The Indictment Against Ratko Mladic

Indictments in 1995 and 2000, further amended in 2002 and 2010, charge the former commander of the Republika Srpska Army with genocide and other crimes.

Ratko Mladic: From Promising Officer to Bloodstained Warlord

When Mladic ordered his army to bomb the people of Sarajevo until they ‘go insane’, he revealed the murderous intentions that would culminate in the Srebrenica massacre.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter