News 13 Apr 17

Srebrenica’s Serb Mayor Repeats Denial of Genocide

Mladen Grujicic, the first Serb mayor of Srebrenica, has again said that he does not accept that the massacres of Bosniaks from the town in July 1995 constituted genocide.

Igor Spaic
BIRN
Sarajevo
Srebrenica mayor Mladen Grujicic. Photo: Anadolu.

Mladen Grujicic told N1 TV on Wednesday evening that he did not believe that the Srebrenica massacres were genocide, despite the rulings of international and Bosnian courts.

“Each victim has their own weight and importance and this must be respected. But I can’t agree with the qualification of the crime,” the Srebrenica mayor said in the televised interview.

He also said that in international court rulings, the number of victims of the massacres, in which thousands of Bosniak men and boys were killed by Bosnian Serb forces in July 1995, were inconsistent.

He added that he was involved in research into the massacres, and claimed that he had come across “a lot of evidence” that some of the people who are recorded as being buried in the village of Potocari, where the Srebrenica memorial and victims’ graves are located, are actually alive.

“The list of victims should be revised and changed,” he insisted.

Grujicic, a former chemistry teacher, is the first Serb mayor of the town, elected amid some controversy in October last year because until then, the local municipality chief had always been a Bosniak.

His election raised concerns among many Bosniaks, who feared that he would ignore or even actively undermine their status in Srebrenica.

But Grujicic said in the interview that despite these fears, he had shown that a Serb could represent the people of Srebrenica.

“Some expected that Bosniaks would leave, that this would lead to a crisis situation. But the opposite happened, I was accepted by Bosniaks and by Serbs, as their neighbour, well-meaning neighbour who lives here with his family and wants to change the environment for the better better,” he said.

Grujicic told BIRN in an interview last month that he wanted to look beyond the war and the bitterly-contested genocide debate and try to attract jobs and new prosperity to the depopulated, impoverished town.

He argued that Srebrenica has often been “collateral damage” in the endless political bickering between Bosniak and Bosnian Serb politicians.

He said however that he thought that the truth about the Srebrenica massacres “has not been proven”.

But he also insisted that the victims of Srebrenica must be honoured, stressing that he has not changed anything in the budget for the planned annual commemoration of the anniversary of the massacres on July 11, but has only increased the money set aside for commemorating Serb victims in Srebrenica as well.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest Headlines

News 10 Jul 07

Del Ponte Praises Bosnia for 'Good' Cooperation

Analysis 18 Sep 07

Truth Commission Divides Bosnia

News 08 Nov 07

Srebrenica Trial Opens in Bosnia

News 28 Nov 07

Srebrenica Suit Gets Go-ahead

Analysis 10 Dec 07

Hague Court Acquits Serbia of Genocide

Analysis 10 Dec 07

No Consensus on Srebrenica Aid Bid

Investigation 10 Dec 07

JUSTICE REPORT INVESTIGATION: Srebrenica Suspect is an RS Official

News 16 Jan 08

Srebrenica Report Sent to RS Police

Analysis 24 Jan 08

Bosnians Consider Del Ponte Legacy

News 25 Mar 08

Bosnia Victims Urge Montenegro Leader Talks

Background

Srebrenica: Genocide Reconstructed

In July 1995 Srebrenica was shelled and occupied by the Army of Republic of Srpska,VRS, despite being declared a protected area by the United Nations. More than 7,000 people were killed, the victims of genocide.

Ratko Mladic: The Force Behind the Srebrenica Killings

The Bosnian Serb commander’s role in the genocide committed in Srebrenica is described in detail in many indictments and verdicts pronounced before local and international judicial institutions.

The Indictment Against Ratko Mladic

Indictments in 1995 and 2000, further amended in 2002 and 2010, charge the former commander of the Republika Srpska Army with genocide and other crimes.

Ratko Mladic: From Promising Officer to Bloodstained Warlord

When Mladic ordered his army to bomb the people of Sarajevo until they ‘go insane’, he revealed the murderous intentions that would culminate in the Srebrenica massacre.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter