News 07 Feb 13

Srebrenica Genocide Witness Recalls Heavy Gunfire

The witness at the trial of two Bosnian Serb officers accused of killing 1,000 detainees from Srebrenica in 1995 said he heard “intense shooting” coming from a school.

Justice Report
BIRN
Sarajevo

Prosecution witness Ignjat Ignjatovic said he heard the gunfire coming from the school in Petkovci in the Zvornik municipality of north-east Bosnia in July 1995.

Ignjatovic said that he had previously learned that Bosniak prisoners had been brought to Petkovci.

“We heard shooting… The commander came and told us no one should leave and we should do our jobs,” he said.

The accused, former Bosnian Serb officers Ostoja Stanisic and Marko Milosevic, are charged with having participated in the murder of more than 1,000 captured Bosniak men and boys at the Petkovci dam.

The victims had been taken from Srebrenica to the dam, where they were executed and their bodies thrown into a river.

Ignjatovic said that he knew the defendants because they were “in the same battalion”. He said he was the chief cook for the soldiers in another school building in Petkovci where Stanisic had his headquarters in July 1995.

“Ostoja Stanisic was commander of the Sixth Battalion [of the Bosnian Serb army’s Zvornik Brigade], and Marko Milosevic was his deputy,” Ignjatovic explained.

Bosnian Serb forces seized the UN-protected 'safe haven' of Srebrenica on July 11, 1995, after which more than 7,000 Bosniak men and boys were killed in the surrounding villages and some 30,000 women, children and elderly people fled their homes.

The trial will resume on February 13.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Background

Timeline: Cases for War Crimes in Pec Villages

Timeline of events in the case against 13 former Serb fighters charged with committing war crimes in the villages of Cuska, Zahac, Ljubenic and Pavlan in Kosovo in 1999.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter