- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- All Balkan Countries
Dino Pecenkovic, who drove Mevlid Jasarevic, the US embassy attacker, to Sarajevo, told the court he did not know Jasarevic intended to shoot up the capital on October 28 last year.
At the continuation of the trial of Jasarevic, 23, accused of organizing an Islamist terror group, Dino Pecenkovic maintained that he knew nothing of Jasarevic's plans.
Pecenkovic drove Jasarevic to Sarajevo on October 28, 2011 when the attack happened. A previously shown video showed them at gas stations and other places.
The witness told the court that he met Jasarevic, and his alleged helpers, Emrah Fojnica and Munib Ahmetspahic, in the village of Gornja Maoca, where they all then lived.
Pecenkovic said that Jasarevic asked him to drive him to the town of Brcko, near Gornja Maoca, which he did while Ahmetspahic joined them in the car.
The witness said that Jasarevic carried a big black bag and a black jacket while sitting in the back seat. On they way to Brcko, Jasarevic then asked Pecenkovic to take him to Sarajevo, which he agreed to do, he told the court.
He continued by saying that when the three of them reached Sarajevo they went to a mosque to pray and then Jasarevic continued alone, by tram, carrying his black bag and jacket.
“I stopped the car and then Mevlid gave us a DVD, saying we should take it and publish it the next day on the net, adding that if the police stopped us, we should destroy it.”
He said he did not know what was on the DVD and only found out about the whole event later that day on their way back to Gornja Maoca.
The next day, they opened the DVD and saw it was a recorded message from Jasarevic who was shown there with two rifles. Pecenkovic said he did not know what happened to it later.
Pecenkovic was earlier under investigation himself but was released. His legal advisor, Ilija Midzic, said that this was because he obviously did not know anything.
Jasarevic's attorney, Senad Dupovac, also addressed the media after the hearing, saying that Pecenkovic had confirmed that he did not know of Jasarevic's plans, and that the terrorist group, which his defendant is accused of organising, clearly never existed.
Two police officers also witnessed describing finding ammunition during later raids in Gornja Maoca.
The Bosnian indictment charges Jasarevic with attacking the US embassy, shooting 105 bullets in 50 minutes from an auto rifle and wounding a policemen.
His alleged helpers, Fojnica and Ahmetspahic, are charged with assisting him in hiding the DVD message that Jasarevic recorded before coming to Sarajevo and with destroying ammunition and military equipment that had been obtained for terrorist purposes.
The indictment says the three men intended to express their dissatisfaction with the position in Bosnia of the extreme Wahhabi community, to which they belonged, and avenge that by violence.
The defence admits the suspect's action but insists that he was not part of an organized terrorist group.
All three men have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Jasarevic is also indicted by the US Justice Department. In April it charged him, among other matters, with attempted murder alongside nine other counts in connection with the shootings.
The US embassy attacker, Mevlid Jasarevic, was removed from court for showing disrespect while his wife's statement was read out; in it, she recalled her attempts to disssuade him from going to Sarajevo.
Donors spent hundreds of thousands of euro building a new museum in Gjirokastra - but the results were questionable and it ultimately closed over an ideological dispute.