In its closing arguments, the ICTY prosecution requested 28 years imprisonment for Vojislav Seselj, stating that he had been proven guilty of war crimes in the former Yugoslavia.
Seselj holding one of his speeches during the 90s
Photo: YouTube Printscreen
“We request that the Trial Chamber find the accused guilty on all nine counts of the indictment since it has been proven he is guilty of serious crimes, both in their scope and heinous nature,” said Mathias Marcussen, Chief Prosecutor for the trial.
“Seselj showed no remorse,” Marcussen added.
The ICTY filed charges against Vojislav Seselj, leader of Serbian Radical Party, in 2003 for persecutions on political, racial or religious grounds, deportation and inhumane acts as well as for violations of the customs of war during conflicts in the former Yugoslavia from 1991 until 1993.
According to the indictment, Seselj planned and ordered the ethnic cleansing of the non-Serb population from parts of eastern Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Serbian province of Vojvodina.
Seselj, who was known for his oratory and extreme rhetoric, is alleged to have mobilized not only the armed wing of his Serbian Radical Party, but also other Serb forces, inciting them to persecute Croats and Bosniaks.
His “Seseljevci” paramilitary group, formed of Serb volunteers, allegedly deported tens of thousands of non-Serbs. They are also said to have killed at least 905 Croats and Bosniaks, to have raped and tortured a number of civilians, and to have destroyed both villages and Catholic and Muslim monuments.
During the conflicts in the former Yugoslavia, Seselj cooperated closely with the Serbian political leaders Slobodan Milosevic and Radovan Karadzic, as well with the notorious war criminal Zeljko Raznatovic "Arkan".
Seselj surrendered to the ICTY voluntarily in 2003, but his trial began in 2007, after several failed attempts and a hunger strike by the accused.
Seselj, who is defending himself, will present his closing arguments between March 12 and 15.
This has been one of the longest running cases in the history of the ICTY. So far the legal proceedings have taken nine years.
This article is Premium Content. In order to gain access to it, please login to your account below if you are already a Premium Subscriber, or subscribe to one of our Premium Content packages.
Our Premium Service gives you access to exclusive content published on Balkan Insight, including analyses, investigations, comments, interviews and more. Subscribe to Balkan Transitional Justice Premium or to Full Premium Access and get unparalleled in-depth coverage of the Western Balkans.
If you have trouble logging in or any other questions regarding you account, please contact us