News 24 Oct 13

268 Victims’ Remains Found in Bosnia Mass Grave

The remains of the wartime victims, believed to be Bosniaks and Croats killed in 1992, have been found in the ongoing exhumation of the mass grave at the Tomasica mines near Prijedor.

Denis Dzidic
BIRN
Sarajevo

The Bosnian prosecution said on Thursday that the complete remains of 200 people and the incomplete remains of 68 more, as well as some of their personal belongings, had been found at a depth of ten metres in the mass grave, more than 20 years after they died.

The victims are believed to have been killed by Bosnian Serb forces in 1992. The mass grave was only found after a tip-off from a former Bosnian Serb soldier, and exhumations began in August.

“We are currently digging out bodies at various depths of the pit. Most of the exhumations are being carried out at three micro-locations several metres from each other, whose depth is ten metres,” the prosecution said in a statement.

“In the meantime, another two micro-locations have been discovered, and exhumations will start there soon too, which is why it is assumed that the total number of mortal remains to be found at this site could be bigger,” it said.

The remains found so far have been moved to the Sejkovaca Identification Centre in Sanski Most, where forensic examination and identification will be carried out.

The Hague Tribunal and the Bosnian state court have handed down several verdicts for crimes against Bosniaks and Bosnian Croats in Prijedor. Former Bosnian Serb military and civilian leaders Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic are on trial for genocide in Prijedor in 1992.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest Headlines

news 22 Jun 17

Kosovo Landmine Victims Demand Serbia Pay Compensation

News 01 Jun 17

UN Response to Kosovo Lead Poison Claims Condemned

News 09 May 17

Croatia Compensates Serb Family for Killing by Soldier

News 24 Mar 17

US Holocaust Envoy Warns Croatia About Fascist Symbols

News 20 Mar 17

Croatia Threatened with Lawsuit by WWII Victims

News 16 Mar 17

US Lawyer: WWII Lawsuit Against Croatia ‘Invalid’