- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- All Balkan Countries
As Montenegro's National Security Agency, the ANB, asks Bosnian police to back up claims that its employees had ties to a suspected drug dealer, Montenegrin minister says the main responsibility for investigating Naser Kelmendi lies with Bosnia.
Montenegro's national security agency, the ANB, has asked Dragan Lukac, head of Bosnia's Federal Police, to forward data backing up his claim that the individuals from the ANB had contacts with Naser Kelmendi, a Kosovo-born businessman named by the US as a drug dealer.
Lukac said on TV on Thursday that he had obtained “operational data" confirming this fact a few years ago.
Kelmendi was sanctioned under the US Kingpin Act as a suspected narcotics trafficker earlier this month.
Lukac said that the Bosnian police were conducting investigations into his activities.
But after the ANB on Friday asked Lukac to deliver the relevant data, Dusko Markovic, Montenegro’s Justice Minister, said the prime responsibility for investigating Kelmendi lay with Bosnia.
“The security services of Bosnia need to legally and efficiently do their job in their territory, because Kelmendi lives in Sarajevo," he said.
"As for what he has been doing in Montenegro, he has already been held responsible for that in line with the law," Markovic told the media.
An investigation in Montenegro has already ruled that Kelmendi broke the law by building a hotel, the Casa Grande, in the Montenegrin coastal town of Ulcinj in 2009.
Last month, Montenegro’s prosecution agreed terms with him and instead of prosecuting him, fined him 10,000 euro for illegal construction, that is, building without a permit.
Donors spent hundreds of thousands of euro building a new museum in Gjirokastra - but the results were questionable and it ultimately closed over an ideological dispute.