Home Page
news 28 Mar 14

Montenegro Detains Six Over Journalist Attack

Six persons suspected of involvement in an assault on a journalist earlier this year have been detained by police.

Dusica Tomovic
BIRN
Podgorica

Montenegrin police said they had detained six men on Thursday, suspected of being involved in the attack on Lidija Jovanovic, a journalist from the opposition daily newspaper Dan.  

"We have a contractor and financier, motive, organizers, helpers and the direct perpetrator of the attack," police said on Friday.

Nikcevic was attacked in January by masked men wielding a baseball bat - an attack she alleged was aimed at stifling free speech.

She was beaten up as she was leaving her office in the town of Niksic, sustaining concussion as well as head and bodily injuries.

“This is an attack on free speech and on free journalism in Montenegro. It will not scare me,” Nikcevic said from hospital after the attack.

Nikcevic was also attacked in August 2012 after a political party meeting in Niksic, where she works as correspondent for the Podgorica-based newspaper.

Earlier this month, two men were placed in custody on suspicion of staging a bomb attack that targeted the independent daily Vijesti last year.

The OSCE and media watchdogs have urged the country's authorities to take action to stop such attacks.

"I am extremely concerned about the safety of journalists in Montenegro," OSCE media freedom representative Dunja Mijatovic said in February.

blog comments powered by Disqus