The Trial Chamber of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, ICTY, sentenced Zuhdija Tabakovic to three months' imprisonment for contempt of court.
Tabakovic pleaded guilty to three of six counts listed in the indictment and signed a plea agreement with the Prosecution on Friday, March 12.
According to the Trial Chamber's decision, the time that Tabakovic has already spent in custody, since December last year, will be taken into account, and Tabakovic should be released by the end of this week.
Zuhdija Tabakovic admitted that he agreed to give a false statement to the court and in exchange accepted money from one of the former Milan Lukic case managers.
According to the indictment, in October 2008, Tabakovic was approached by Lukic's Defence manager Jelena Rasic and asked to sign a written statement related to the crimes for which Lukic is accused.
Milan Lukic has been sentenced by a first instance verdict to life imprisonment. He was indicted, together with Sredoje Lukic, for crimes committed in Visegrad during the Bosnian war. Sredoje Lukic was sentenced to 30 years' imprisonment by a first instance verdict.
Among other crimes, the Lukic cousins were convicted for the murder of more than 100 Bosniaks in Visegrad.
Tabakvic was offered, and he accepted, money in exchange for giving false testimony about Milan Lukic's responsibility for the crimes alleged.
"During the same meeting, it is alleged that Rasic presented Tabakovic with two other pre written statements and asked him to find two other men to sign the false statements and testify," the indictment reads, adding that Tabakovic was offered €1,000 for each man.
According to the indictment, Tabakovic accepted and brought two persons to the case manager several days after the meeting.
All of the meetings were held in Sarajevo. The Prosecution said in court that Tabakovic said he needed money, and that he was told that it had been provided by Lukic himself.
The indictment against Tabakovic was raised on October 30, 2009, and confirmed on November 17, but was not made public until December.
During the trial, the Prosecution said that "no effective damage was done" as a result of Tabakovic's false statement. The prosecution added that Tabakovic had surrendered voluntarily and admitted to everything, explaining that that was why they were willing to accept a lighter punishment without proposing a fine.
Milan and Sredoje Lukic are still in detention in the Hague. They are awaiting the start of their appeals case in the front of the Apellate Chamber. A status conference is scheduled for March 16.
This article is Premium Content. In order to gain access to it, please login to your account below if you are already a Premium Subscriber, or subscribe to one of our Premium Content packages.
Our Premium Service gives you access to exclusive content published on Balkan Insight, including analyses, investigations, comments, interviews and more. Subscribe to Balkan Transitional Justice Premium or to Full Premium Access and get unparalleled in-depth coverage of the Western Balkans.
If you have trouble logging in or any other questions regarding you account, please contact us