News 16 Mar 17

Karadzic Contests Prosecution Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Radovan Karadzic asked the UN court to reject a prosecution appeal to increase his sentence to life imprisonment and find him guilty of genocide in seven more Bosnian municipalities in 1992.

Denis Dzidic
BIRN
Sarajevo
Radovan Karadzic in court. Photo: ICTY.

Former Bosnian Serb political leader Radovan Karadzic filed a motion to the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals in The Hague on Thursday, asking the UN war crimes court to throw out the prosecutors’ appeal.

Karadzic said that although there were “significant mistakes” in last year’s first-instance verdict, the court should not reverse the part of the ruling that acquitted him of genocide in seven municipalities in 1992.

The Hague Tribunal sentenced Karadzic to 40 years in prison in March last year, pronouncing him guilty of the genocide of Bosniaks from Srebrenica in 1995, the persecution of Bosniaks and Croats throughout Bosnia and Herzegovina, terrorising the population of Sarajevo and taking UN peacekeepers hostage.

Both the prosecution and Karadzic filed appeals against the verdict.

In his response to the prosecutors’ appeal, Karadzic noted that genocide in the municipalities in 1992 had not been proved during the trial.

The verdict said that although conditions in Bosnian Serb detention camps in the municipalities in 1992 were terrible, the court could not conclude that the camps were established with the aim of “destroying Bosnian Muslims as a group”.

Karadzic said in his appeal that although conditions in the Susica, Omarska, Keraterm, Trnopolje and Karakaj detention camps, as well as other detention camps set up by the Bosnian Serbs in Foca, were bad for individuals held there, they were not destructive for Bosniaks as an ethnic group.

“Bearing in mind that very few people died due to bad conditions in this case, it cannot be said that the conditions in the detention camps were created to ensure the disappearance of Bosnian Muslims,” Karadzic said.

He also insisted that the court had determined that “the acts of resettlement of people, even in case of forcible resettlement, were not equal to genocidal acts, considering the fact that they do not necessarily result in destruction of a group of people”.

Hearings for both appeals against the verdict will be scheduled at a later date.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest Headlines

News 14 Jul 17

Bosnian Serbs Spend €10,000 on Mladic, Karadzic

News 13 Jun 17

Karadzic Wants Skype Installed in Hague Detention

News 04 May 17

Radovan Karadzic Recalls Evading Capture in Belgrade

News 01 Feb 17

Hague Tribunal Rejects Karadzic’s Cancer Claims

2016 in Review 23 Dec 16

Bosnia: Trials and Votes Deepen Divisions

NEWS 16 Dec 16

Radovan Karadzic Interview Angers Srebrenica Survivors

News 05 Dec 16

Radovan Karadzic Files Appeal Against Conviction

NEWS 29 Nov 16

Bosnian Serb Honours for War Criminals Challenged

Background

Karadzic: War Criminal or Poet?

To the media in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the arrest of Radovan Karadzic, indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, ICTY, for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity, was a true sensation, and one to be exploited day after day.  

Srebrenica: Genocide Reconstructed

In July 1995 Srebrenica was shelled and occupied by the Army of Republic of Srpska,VRS, despite being declared a protected area by the United Nations. More than 7,000 people were killed, the victims of genocide.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter