The trial of Edin Dzeko, ex Bosnian army soldier, for crimes committed in Konjic and Jablanica, began with the reading of the indictment and presentation of the prosecution’s opening arguments.
The prosecutor, Sanja Jukic, said that the testimonies of victims and Dzeko’s former comrades from the Zulfikar squad with the Bosnian army, will prove that he is guilty of crimes against the Bosnian Croat civilians and prisoners of war committed in 1993.
“Although he was considerably younger than most of the members of the squad, Dzeko was a person of confidence in the Zulfikar unit. He gave out direct orders to others. We are certain we will prove his guilt for the crimes specified in the indictment,” said Jukic.
According to the indictment, Dzeko is charged with crimes committed in the village of Trusina near Konjic in April 1993 and in Jablanica, against civilians and prisoners of war of Croat nationality.
The indictment specifies that Dzeko took part in the attack on the village of Trusina on April 16, 1993, as well as murders of six civilians and three prisoners of war.
Dzeko is also charged with taking part in illegally detaining eight Croat civilians in the Zulfikar detachment’s headquarters in Jablanica in September 1993.
The prosecution believes that Dzeko mistreated imprisoned civilians by beating them and forcing them to stand in the road shelled by the units of the Croatian Defence Council. According to the indictment, Dzeko took money from two civilians in exchange for their life.
The defence did not present its opening argument, saying they would do it after the prosecution finishes its evidence hearing.
Dzeko was extradited to Bosnia and Herzegovina in December last year and has been held in custody ever since.
The first prosecution witness will testify on August 28.