News 11 Dec 17

Bosnian War Victims Praise Hague Tribunal’s Successes

Despite some shortcomings, the Hague Tribunal, which closes this month, has identified and prosecuted those responsible for grave crimes and brought some justice to people who suffered, said members of Bosnia’s Association of Victims.

Dzana Brkanic
BIRN
Sarajevo
 Fikret Grabovica and Saja Coric at the press conference in Sarajevo. Photo: BIRN.

Association of war victims in Bosnia and Herzegovina on Monday praised the work of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, which is closing its doors at the end of this year.

Murat Tahirovic, president of the Association of Victims and Witnesses of Genocide, told a press conference in Sarajevo that the Hague Tribunal has left a priceless database of evidence for courts in the region, so they can continue processing war crime perpetrators.

Tahirovic also said that the verdicts handed down by the Tribunal will act as a warning to future generations.

“Victims who testified a number of times about the serious torture they experienced have made the greatest contribution to achieving justice. By testifying, they lived through their past experiences again in order to help achieve these results,” he said.

“The question arises as to whether politicians in the region are ready to show respect for the victims and contribute to legal regulation of their rights, including reparation funds,” he added.

He pointed out that crimes and final verdicts are still being denied in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the wider region, even by members of the country’s tripartite presidency.

“There is a justified concern that politics will influence verdicts and that equating victims and perpetrators will be the next phase,” he said.

Fikret Grabovica, president of the Association of Parents of Children Killed in Sarajevo, told the press conference that he is partially satisfied with the work of the Hague Tribunal, but very dissatisfied with the work of the Bosnian state court and prosecution.

Grabovica said the Hague Tribunal has handed down several verdicts for terrorising, shelling and sniping at civilians in Sarajevo during the wartime siege of the city, but the state court has not passed down a single verdict against perpetrators of the crimes which left around 11,000 inhabitants of Sarajevo dead.

Speaking about former Bosnian Croat military chief Slobodan Praljak’s suicide in the Tribunal’s courtroom last month, Saja Coric, a former prisoner at the Vojno detention camp near Mostar said she felt sorry for “all those who consider Praljak a hero”.

“To a certain extent, I am satisfied with the work of the Hague Tribunal, which said what happened in Bosnia and Herzegovina. We know the story is not over yet. Suits for compensation for non-material damages are ahead of us, but I believe that the truth always wins,” Coric said.

Mirsada Malagic, who testified in The Hague on several occasions, said that the prosecutions of perpetrators have been partially completed, but expressed hope that domestic judicial bodies will continue working in order to complete the job.

The Tribunal shuts down on December 31 this year and its remaining work, including the appeal in the trial of former Bosnian Serb military chief Ratko Mladic, will be completed by the Mechanism for International Tribunals.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest Headlines

News 19 Jan 18

US Seeks to Revoke Bosnian's Citizenship

News 18 Jan 18

Witness Recognized Medicus Suspect at Pristina Airport

News 17 Jan 18

Ex-KLA Officials Deny Knowing of 1998 Killings

News 16 Jan 18

Croatia Issues Light Sentence For 1998 Serb Killing

news 12 Jan 18

Claims About Kosovo's Post-War Murders Shock Families

News 11 Jan 18

Bosnia Confirms Indictment for Crimes Near Donji Vakuf

2017 in Review 25 Dec 17

Serbia: War Criminals Praised, War Trials Delayed

News 20 Dec 17

Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldiers Arrested on Genocide Charges

News 19 Dec 17

Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Arrested for Killing 30 Serbs