Home Page
 
news 27 Oct 14

Bosnian Intelligence Agency Urged to Open up

A Sarajevo round table heard calls for Bosnia's Intelligence Security Agency, OSA, to be more open about its plans to counter the various security threats to the country.

Elvira M. Jukic
BIRN
Sarajevo

Bosnia's Intelligence Security Agency, OSA, has been urged to tell the public more about security threats to the country and be more open about what it planed to do about them.

A debate on Friday heard Nedjo Vlaski of the Serurity Forum tell a round table organized in parliament that the OSA had not publicised a plan of its activities for the entire decade that it has been in existence.

Noting that its webpage had not been updated since 2006, he said Croatia's equivalent agency had published its recent plans on a 50-page document.

Vlaski argued that citizens were kept poorly informed about the state of security in the country and that the OSA should be doing so, in view of the factors threatening the country.

“If relevant people from the security sector do not give proposals on how to improve the situation, it is hard to expect the new parliament to understand the role it should have in solving security issues,” Vlaski noted.

Dzevad Galijasevic, an expert in security issues, said Bosnia faced different security threats, including terroristic structures connected to radical Islamists.

“The OSA has an obligation to inform the public about their actions,” he said. “The threat of terrorism is a serious one.”

“The OSA should do something about these [radical Islamist] structures, as we have not seen any moves so far on their finances or property,” Galijasevic added.

He added that one “real source of threat” was the so-called Wahhabi movement. Several of its members have commited or attempted to commit terrorist attacks in Bosnia.

One case was the 2011 attack on the US embassy in Sarajevo when Mevlid Jasarevic, later sentenced to 15 years in prison, opened fire on the building and wounded a policeman.

In a statement given in 2010, director of OSA, Almir Dzuvo, said he had data that said about 3,000 people posed a threat to the security in the country.

Dzuvo accused politicians of lacking a clear strategy to deal with the issue.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related Headlines:

serbian-court-dismisses-motion-to-continue-srebrenica-trial-07-26-2017
26 Jul 17

Serbian Court Rejects Restart of Srebrenica Trial

A Belgrade court rejected the war crimes prosecutor’s motion to continue a landmark trial of eight former Serb policemen for the Srebrenica massacres, saying the request was based on charges already dismissed.

26 Jul 17

Macedonian Police Crack Down on Street Racers

25 Jul 17

Serbian Unions Clash Over Deal With Fiat

Premium Selection

krunic-the-serbian-artist-in-search-of-conversation-06-07-2017
26 Jul 17

Krunic: The Serbian Artist in Search of Conversation

Belgrade-born painter Slavko Krunic describes his portraits as ‘satiriconography’ but insists his caricature-style in no way mocks his subjects.

new-movement-pledges-to-tackle-bosnia-s-old-problems-07-26-2017
26 Jul 17

New Movement Pledges to Tackle Bosnia’s Old Problems

A new political movement is promising a fresher, younger approach to tackle the corruption and political self-interest that dominates the country’s politics – but many disillusioned voters remain sceptical.

24 Jul 17

The Many Charms of Serbia's Valjevo

24 Jul 17

The Srebrenica Refugee Camp that Never Closed

20 Jul 17

Serbia in Two Minds Over New IMF Deal