/en/file/show//Images/headers/ksdp-logo.png
28 Nov 16

Battle Over Trepca Strains Kosovo-Serbia Relations

The dispute over the Trepca complex is becoming one of the biggest stumbling blocks in Kosovo-Serbia relations - but the issue has been smouldering for decades.

Arben Qirezi BIRN Pristina
The ethnic Serbian junior partner in the coalition government, Srpska Lista, is  boycotting the work of Kosovo’s state institutions. Photo: Beta

The worsening dispute between Kosovo and Serbia over the Trepca mining and metallurgical complex in northern Kosovo continues to keep the Kosovo government in deadlock.

The ethnic Serbian junior partner in the coalition government, Srpska Lista, is now boycotting the work of Kosovo’s state institutions over a law that Kosovo adopted in October.

The dispute escalated in recent weeks to the point of becoming an item on the agenda of the UN Security Council.

Speaking at the Security Council on November 16, Serbia’s Foreign Minister, Ivica Dacic urged members to “use their authority” to annul the law that transformed the complex into a shareholder company in which the Kosovo government controls 80 per cent of the shares. The other 20 per cent will remain the property of the workers.

Subscribe to Balkan Insight Premium to read the full article.

Please login to your account below if you are already a Premium Subscriber.

Buy Premium Subscription

Our Premium Service gives you full access to all content published on BalkanInsight.com, including analyses, investigations, comments, interviews and more. Choose your subscription today and get unparalleled in-depth coverage of the Western Balkans.

Buy Premium Subscription

If you have trouble logging in or any other questions regarding you account, please contact us