News 14 Feb 18

Acquitted Bosnian Croat Fighter Sues for Damages

Former Bosnian Croat fighter Pavo Glavas, who was acquitted of raping two women during wartime, is suing Bosnia and Herzegovina for 75,000 euros because of lost earnings during his detention.

Albina Sorguc
BIRN
Sarajevo
The Bosnian state court in Sarajevo. Photo: BIRN.

Pavo Glavas’s lawyer Branka Praljak told the state court in Sarajevo on Wednesday that her client, who was acquitted of war crimes and cleared of raping two women in Odzak in 1992, needed the compensation because he missed out on earnings from his job in Switzerland while in custody.

She said Glavas had already sued the state and was awarded around 22,500 euros as compensation for the “psychological pain” he suffered as result of 17 months in detention.

In that case however, the court rejected Glavas’ request for the additional compensation because of lost earnings, but the Bosnian court appeals chamber then accepted his argument and ordered the case to be heard again.

Praljak proposed to file as evidence Glavas’ contract of employment from Switzerland, a document confirming he lost his job after he was arrested and his confirmations of earnings from Switzerland for 2013, 2014 and 2015.

The hearing was not attended by officials representing the state.

The main hearing in the case will be held on April 4.

Talk about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus